8 to 10 servings
- PREP: 30 minutes
- TOTAL: 21 hours 45 minutes (includes salting and roasting time)
- 1/3 cup coarse kosher salt (preferably Diamond Crystal brand)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 14- to 16-pound turkey; neck, heart, and gizzard reserved for Ultimate Turkey Stock
- 3 lemons, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3 1/2 to 41/2 cups Ultimate Turkey Stock or low-salt chicken broth, divided
- Greek-Inspired Fresh Oregano and Giblet Pan Gravy
The Technique: Salt-RubbedRub the bird with an herbal, citrusy salt mixture and let it chill overnight. As the turkey sits, the salt draws moisture to the skin. During roasting, the flavorful liquid seasons the meat and keeps it moist, so you get a super-juicy bird with crisp, browned skin.
Special Equipment1 turkey-size oven bag
Mix all ingredients in small bowl.
Rinse turkey. Pull out metal insert that holds legs and remove fat pads from neck and main cavities. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons salt rub inside cavities. Slide bird into turkey-size oven bag. Sprinkle remaining salt rub over bird. Close bag; place on rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate turkey 18 to 24 hours.
To Roast Turkey
Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 350°F. Place rack in large roasting pan. Rinse turkey; pat dry. Combine lemons, next 6 ingredients, 1/4 cup oil, and 3 tablespoons lemon juice in large bowl; spoon into main cavity. Whisk remaining oil and lemon juice in small bowl. Tuck wing tips under; tie legs loosely. Place turkey on rack; brush with some lemon oil.
Pour 2 cups stock into roasting pan. Roast turkey 1 hour. Brush all over with remaining lemon oil. Roast turkey 45 minutes; pour 1 cup stock into pan. Roast 45 minutes; add 1/2 cup to 1 1/2 cups stock to pan to maintain liquid level. Turn pan around. Roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°F, about 45 minutes longer. Transfer turkey to platter; reserve pan with juices. Tent turkey loosely with foil; let rest 30 to 45 minutes (internal temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees).
While turkey rests, prepare gravy.